Thursday 5 April 2018

A lovely wobbly dessert


With spring officially here, I couldn’t help but bring some edible flowers into my kitchen (thanks London Foodie). I have been using them in every single way. I mean, in savoury and sweet dishes. This week, I made an elderflower jelly to salute the colourful season of the year. Apart from the fact that the jelly looked stunning, the family approved the taste too. The flowers I used were pansies which added a bit of texture and fresh flavour.

The edible flowers are delicate and quickly perishable. I had a big stash and decided to store the ones I didn’t use by freezing them in ice cubes to jazz up my summer drinks.

My sister gave me a beautiful vintage jelly mould which I was looking forward to using. The first time I used it, it was a bit of a challenge to turn it out but on the second attempt it worked out beautifully. The trick is this: the water you dip the mould in shouldn’t be too hot.

I plan to make a lot more jellies this summer using a variety of fruits and edible flowers.

Please do make sure that the edible flowers you are buying are certified organic - unless you are growing them in your own garden, free from pesticides.



Before...
...and after! My elderflower jelly.
Elderberry jelly

Ingredients


180ml elderflower cordial (I used a homemade one. Otherwise, I recommend Belvoir)
1 Tablespoon organic unflavoured gelatin powder
Blueberries, as many as you like

Edible flowers, as many as you like
310ml filtered water

Method


Place the cordial in a small saucepan and heat gently to just below boiling point. Remove from the heat. Add 150ml of cold water to the pan, followed by the gelatin, and stir well until it is dissolved. Add the rest of the water.

In a jelly mould carefully place the berries, some flowers, and pour over them just a little bit of the jelly mixture. Place the mould in the fridge for half an hour to one hour. This will stop the berries and flowers floating to the top.

Repeat the method 2-3 more times. Cool it in the fridge until fully set.

Turn it out and serve.

A healthy note: Elderflower has been shown to soothe irritated sinuses and mucus membranes. Gelatin helps the lining of the intestine and the digestion of dairy products. Gelatin is recommended for people who suffer from Crohn’s disease, diverticulitis, leaky gut, colitis and other digestive problems.

Till next week!
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Margot's Kitchen | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig