Tuesday 13 December 2011

Aubergines to save the day


Last week was very rushed. Nina’s been having loads of Christmas activities and I had a lot of chores to get done before I went away for the weekend. So, all this is to say that I didn't quite have the time I wished I had to experiment with a dish I had in mind for leftover roasted whole aubergine. I need to come up with something easy and quick. Inspired by Dennis Cotter (my favourite vegetarian chef), I made a pasta that is one of my favourites and I now share with you. Handy for the frantic pre-Xmas weeks.
Cut the aubergine in strips
The ingredients. My chili is literally chilled, I keep a handful
 in the freezer. I picked it in Summer from my garden
It might not look super appetizing but it tastes delicious.
I promise!

Aubergine, date, honey and feta cheese pasta

This is a lovely dish with a good source of dietary fiber.  

HOW I MADE IT

Cut the aubergines in small strips and fry them in olive oil with red onions for a minute. Add 1 chopped garlic clove, ¼ tsp of cumin powder and 1 small fresh chili (deseeded). Continue frying them until the aubergines are browned. Now add now about 2 Tablespoons of slivered almonds.
Put a pan of water to a boil. Cook about 200g of pasta,following packet instructions.
When the pasta is done, add it to the pan of vegetables. Add 4 dried dates, 1 dessertspoon of raw honey or maple syrup, salt and black pepper. Serve in bowls with crumbled feta cheese, olive oil and a squeeze of lime juice on the top.

Some of the ingredients and their healthy benefits

Aubergine or Eggplant 
(Solanum melongena): Aubergine is a great source of bioflavonoids. It has antioxidant properties due to a compound (Nasunin), that can prevent the formation of free radicals and protect against cell damage. Aubergine eliminates excess iron in the blood. It contains a good amount of vitamin C, B vitamins, copper (for protection of the cardiovascular, skeletal, and nervous systems), magnesium (nature’s natural relaxant), manganese (very beneficial for a good digestion), phosphorus (important for proper kidney function and needed for healthy bones, teeth, muscles and nerves); and potassium (for proper nerve and muscle functions). Aubergine plays an important role in lowering blood cholesterol.

CautionAubergine contains a naturally-occurring substance found in plants called oxalates. Oxalates can become too concentrated in body fluids and crystallize, causing some healthy problems. People with kidney and gallblader conditions should avoid eating this vegetable.

Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Margot's Kitchen | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig